"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"
--Dillion

About Me

My photo
I am a lot of things, sometimes it drives me insane,and I think too much, but at the end of the day I am happy with who I am. I spend most of my time trying to understand this life, creating the person I would like to be, and learning. I always appreciate the little things, and I try to be better than, and to make better, the bad things.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Traveling Tips!




I can't get my mind off this trip I'm just too excited! Everyone picks up their own traveling tricks, and although I'm sure I have a lot to learn, I have picked up quite a few myself. So for my own benefit, and if I can be of help to any of you, I am going to remind myself of some of them. If you know anymore I would love to hear them!

If you are not interesting in traveling, or aren't anytime soon, you don't have to waste your time reading this. lol

Getting ready:
Head down to your AAA. Here it is important to get a travel debit card, one you know will work in every ATM around the world. Also put someone else's name on it, a friend or family member. This way if you get into any trouble you can call them and ask them to transfer money onto it. Or, god forbid, if you lost it they can often cancel the card a lot easier than you can.

Pick up a outlet converter for where you are going. Make sure you read how many volts it supports as well. Often curling irons and such need something different..it totally fries your iron if you don't have it, like serious it gets sooo hot!

Packing:
If you are one who brings lots home, or just can never pack things as neatly on the way home, then pack your smaller suitcase with your stuff, then put it in your big suitcase. This way on the way home you have plenty of space.

Your trip bag, as I like to call it, the one you will be carrying around:
Really, the fanny pack is wonderful. But if it is against your fashion beliefs like mine, or if you don't want anything to scream tourist more than your camera already does, then that's no good. I would recommend a smaller bag with one strap that sits at your side. A small backpack works well too, but one that is more like a purse, and is good quality. Remember with a backpack when you are in a big crowd, on a bus, or on any public transportation to pull it around to your side or put in on your lap.

In this bag: A water bottle, an extra camera battery, your camera at times, although mine is usually around my wrist, a light jackets, chapstick, sunscreen, maybe a contact case and your glasses if you need that. If a contact fell out, well some of us would be screwed! That's about it.
Never never never keep you passport in this bag! They have small pouches that go under your cloths, one around your waste and one around your neck. The one around my waste I did not like. It annoyed me, was hard to get into and when my shirt came up you could see it. So I would recommend getting one around your neck. Keep your passport and money in here. It's easy to hide, and easy to use by just pulling it out from under your shirt. If you are swimming and leave you stuff on the beach, put your pouch in your shoe, or in your jacket. It is easy for someone to walk by and swipe your bag, but they probably are not going to take your clothing.

Don't bring anything that means a lot to you including jewelry, special outfits, or anything like that. Basically pack so that you won't be stressed the whole time of loosing your stuff, and if it did get lost or stolen it is not the end of the world. Basically my advice is hold on to your passport, money, and camera with everything you have, and don't constantly stress about everything else. Of coarse some countries are worse than others on theft. But if you loose your passport, you are f-ed...seriously.

When you are packing, if you are running out of room, remember things like sunscreen, shampoo, and contact solution will be sold there. It will be a lot more expensive, but sometimes it might be worth it.

Tape lotions, shampoo bottles, and everything in this category shut!!! I bring tape to do it on the way home also! This sucked to learn btw.

Bring zip locks- Strange but they do come in handy. For a wet swimsuit, for that messy stuff like shower stuff and makeup, or if it starts to rain, or you are going on a boat, it is smart to put your camera in one.

Cloths:
Say it with me: Capris! They are wonderful! It is super hot in a lot of these places, but often if you are wearing shorts, or something too revealing they won't let you into places, especially churches. So capris are nice. Knee lengthed skirts I found are really good, but I always have to check the itinerary because I don't want to hike or anything with a skirt on. Plus skirts look wrong with tennis shoes, and that's what you will be wearing a lot of the time. Other than tennis shoes, I would recommend just bringing flip flops. These are good for the beach. If you are comfortable wearing cute shoes, often these are fun for night activities, but I can't wear that kind of stuff, especially if you end up dancing. If you take off you shoes, you have to worry about keeping track of them, or walking back to the hotel without any shoes. So I would say tennis shoes and flip flops. Pack stuff you can wear lots, like jeans. Carry around a light jacket for churches and evenings. Stuff it into the bottom of your bag if you can. The less stuff in your hands the better.

Communication:
Pre-paid phone cards are good, but often there aren't any phones laying around to use. I've had one both big trips I've been on and did not use them once. There will most likely be internet in at least one of your hotel rooms, so you could send a quick email home, but lots of people will be in line. At&t works pretty well in some countries, but don't count on it. Leave that in the hotel room. But mostly don't count on too much communication with home, which is okay because you should not be wasting time on that either. Just one "I got here safe email." maybe one "I'm doing great." But save the details for when you get home.

Camera: Just buy an extra battery. There will be time to charge things, but if your camera dies and you are not at the hotel, it is better to just have a spare. If you do charge anything don't leave it in the hotel room!...This stuff is obviously common sense, but it happens to everyone at one time or another.

My camera is the most important thing to me, but remember to not just see your trip behind a lens. I was taught a very important lesson when my camera broke the second day of a two week trip. If this happens it is not the end of the world, like I thought. Everyone there would be happy to make you a CD of their pictures, and to take pictures of you.

Money: I would recommend taking out as much money as you think you can every time. The fewer amount of times you have to use an ATM, the less you have to waste money on the fee. Always keep American dollars, crisp ones for trading. They are worth a lot in some countries. Also keep them for the end of your trip in the airport. It is harder to keep track of your money when you use your card, sometimes when the store actually accepts it you will be tempted to use it, but that gets more complicated and if they charged you wrong you won't notice until way after you can do anything about it.

Don't keep money in your pockets!

Shopping:
Everybody loves bringing back gifts, but don't let that stress you out. If you are taking time out of seeing things to shop for gifts, then your priorities are wrong. When you are shopping and find something you really like, buy it. If you wait to see if it is cheaper somewhere else you might end up without it. If you find little trinkets that you want but are sold everywhere, then don't but them from stores. Small street vendors, or just random people will be selling them on the street for much cheaper! With them you can barter! Learn how to do that. lol. Also certain cities are cheaper and have the same stuff, so be educated before you go.

Sleep:
Let's face it, you are just not going to get any sleep in another country, there is too much to see, too little sunlight, and too many late nights exploring. So bring vitamins! I like to take vitamin C every morning. With that little of sleep, and the new food your body isn't used to, it's almost inevitable that you will get sick. But with vitamins and lots of water at least you can prolong that until after you get home. Nobody wants to get sick on a trip.

Also, sometimes it is hard to sleep on the travel buses because you want to see things, but take that time! If you just close your eyes on a bus ride for five minutes it helps a ton!

Food:
If you are in a group they do not feed you often, or that much. You will most likely be hungry a lot! If you have to buy your own food in a group or on your own, it is quite expensive in many countries! First of all pack your suitcase with things like energy bars and crackers, everyone will be begging you for them. But also if you can help it, instead of going to a restaurant find a market, or grocery store. Usually hotels will serve you breakfast, sometimes its good, and sometimes it's cereal and slices of cheese, either way take advantage of breakfast! This is the one time of day you can go back for seconds.

New food: If your concerned about what something is, and often there is nobody to tell you, try it, unless there are allergies involved. But ya try it, but I would recommend eating a small amount. Your body is just not used to this kind of food. Nutrition/energy bars come in handy when you are unsure of the food you are served as well.

Also:
Don't ever go off by yourself.

Don't stray from the group.

Don't turn down opportunities because you are tired.

Don't put yourself in a dangerous situation because others are.

If they line up girls in front of you, or a women gives you a message, don't take it.

Learn what is rude and polite in the culture you are traveling to.

Learn these praises in the language:
"Where's the bathroom."
"Thank you."
"What time is it."
(Although other countries are a whole better at speaking English then we are at speaking their languages.)

***Journal Journal Journal!! Even if you only have 5 minutes before you go to bed write down things you did and things you saw. Write down funny things and names of people you meet. It is amazing how quickly this stuff fades. Also when you are showing people pictures this helps you tell a unique and detailed story of each picture. ***


I have a ton more but I am sick of writing! I'm going to do research soon, so I'll let you know what I learn from others.

I apologies if there are any spelling errors, blogs like this are too long to edit. lol

1 comment:

  1. Some good tips! That's a good idea about the travel debit card and putting another person's name on it. I had never thought of those things before!

    ReplyDelete