"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"
--Dillion

About Me

My photo
I am a lot of things, sometimes it drives me insane,and I think too much, but at the end of the day I am happy with who I am. I spend most of my time trying to understand this life, creating the person I would like to be, and learning. I always appreciate the little things, and I try to be better than, and to make better, the bad things.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Femiphobia and Ring less Fingers!

I'm a college student, I have a boyfriend, I shave my legs, I have hobbies and interests, I have male and female friends, basically when you look at me I am (quote unquote) normal in comparison to everyone else. So why in a class of 30 was I the only one willing to raise my hand when asked who considered themselves a feminist?

This made me so sad. We are college students, we are the educated, the elite, one step ahead of the rest of our generation. If we are unknowledgable and afraid, then the world is screwed when it comes to change. Feminist's are not man-hating dikes, hello you should know this! Just like every Muslim is obviously not a terrorist. Feminism is striving for political, social and economical equality among the sexes. Who could disagree with that? Here is the kicker, after people learn what feminism really is, they are still afraid to raise their hand. We all, especially young women should be proud to identify with being a feminist. It gives all of us, men and women, the power of choice, more respect, and equal pay for gosh sakes! I challenge those women who are afraid to associate with feminism to live the life of a 1950's housewife. Yuck! Anyway my new mission in life is to undemonize the connotation of the word feminism. If people are afraid of it, ashamed of it, then we are never going to change the world and make it a better place. Other people have an excuse of being ignorant, but college students? They should know better and I challenge each and everyone of them to step up!

On to my next topic. I just want to take a second and appreciate love. It is not always easy and not always butterflies, but everytime we make bacon at three in the morning, laugh till our sides hurt, have a realization that everyone is crazy but us, I realize how lucky I am to know love. What sparked this you ask? Well everyday I have this game where I look at people's left hands on the light rail coming home from school. So many ring less fingers, the majority in fact, based on my research. It sparks a lot of questions. Were they ever married? Were they ever happy? What went wrong? Are they happier single? Do they go home to an empty house? It just gets me thinking.

Last, I wanted to take a second to talk about self worth. We all need it, but the places we find it is different. Whether it be our family, our education/intelligence, our experience, our clean house, we all have something to prove to ourselves that we are worth something. It's so interesting to me why we need a material expression to show ourselves and the world that we have worth, but we do...

Readers: A wonderful women in my life is starting a new and dangerous treatment for her disease, please keep her in your thoughts and send positive vibes her way, thank you!

Life is filled with great sadness, and much joy, but I am alive and well and it is a good life through and through. Love ~Care~

1 comment:

  1. I would like to note to your readers that you were 1 of 2 people to raise your hand. The 2nd being your lovely boyfriend...

    ReplyDelete