"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"
--Dillion

About Me

My photo
I am a lot of things, sometimes it drives me insane,and I think too much, but at the end of the day I am happy with who I am. I spend most of my time trying to understand this life, creating the person I would like to be, and learning. I always appreciate the little things, and I try to be better than, and to make better, the bad things.

Friday, June 18, 2010

You're Silly Life



Summer time, oh how wonderful it is. Mornings with tea and reading, sitting by the pool, being active, taking walks..I love it!

Yesterday, for our anniversary, my boyfriend and I got in the car with plenty of good music and headed for the beautiful Estes Park! It was soo gorgeous and I had never been there! There was so much to do there! Rafting, horseback riding, hiking. We have to go back! We had a fabulous day and tried some rock climbing...all I can say is wow, it is so much harder then I remember it being! I realized just how pathetic my little arm muscles are. Walking around the little town and the lake was so much fun. The shops are adorable and the food was delicious. The Stanley hotel is so cool and I am excited to actually stay there sometime. It was a perfect little getaway!

Books: So I have been terrible about writing about them so here are mini reviews..at least for now.

Book #8: Fool by Christopher Moore- What can you say about Moore- Witty, clever, vulgar...basically hilarious! I so enjoy reading his books. they are such a nice break sometimes from really emotionally draining books. I do have to re-read sometimes to make sure I pick up on all of his jokes, but I probably still miss some. He' so clever. Even though he is silly, I still got a lot of good things from his book. I'll probably do more quotes later.
"Is loyalty a virtue when paid to virtue's stranger?"

"I'm a lapsed Christian and a pagan of convenience." So funny and could really be analyzed.

"Without hell, there was no fear, and without fear, there was no further need for the church to supply redemption, and more important, no means for the church to modify behavior."


Book #9: The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff- I loved this book. I have not read too much historical fiction but I loved it. It gave me a new understanding for Mormonism and just religion in general. Everyone has their beliefs, some don't have much of a choice in the matter because they don't know anything else. But everyone is trying to be a good person, trying to be true to their beliefs, and ultimately get to heaven. I also learned that there is a spectrum in every single thing and sometimes we forget that. We must not let a few represent a whole group. There are good and bad people in every religion, in every culture, in every government, in every idea! This book covered the Mormon religion from many different perspectives, and from people at different positions in their life, and throughout time. Last who is anyone to say that their religion is any less crazy than anyone else's? When we say one religion is correct, by default it makes others wrong, when in truth there exists much more similarities in religion than differences. This book took me deeper into the idea of faith then I have really been, questioning and analyzing it. And also I obviously had fun with the gender aspect of the book and the lust vs. love idea. It was wonderful. There are so many good quotes I can't even begin to list them, but I will say this one.
"How you spend your days, is how you spend life." We should always remind ourselves all there is to experience in this life, and what we are capable of, we must not waste life.

Book # 10: Pale Horse Pale Rider by Katherine Anne Porter- A lovely book of 3 short stories. It is for anyone who doesn't know what life is or what to do with it. It asks many questions, and it talks about the act of asking these questions. It is just about life. There is so much more to be said, but I just don't know how. There are lots of cute little things, here's a few.
"Nothing is mine, I have only nothing but it is enough, it is beautiful and it is all mine."

"Beauty goes. character stays."

"...going over old stories and finding new points of interest in them...She knew too many like them, she wanted something new of her own."


Book # 11: The Elegance of the Hedgehog- I absolutely adore this book! Everyone has a book that mirrors what they would of liked to write, and this book is mine. Thank goodness she wrote it because it is done so well. I am about 1/4 of the way into it. I don't know how I'm ever going to write about this one because I love everything! Another book for a restless, philosophical, wondering mind.

In other news I am so excited to go camping, my eyes are doing great, and I'm deciding for good if I want to study abroad.

2 comments:

  1. So are you missing out on our Guernsey Literary Society Discussion and skipping straight the the Hedgehog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick's parents own a house up in Estes! They go up there almost every weekend. We had a pre-wedding BBQ up there. Did you not go? It is a great place to visit. Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete