"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"
--Dillion

About Me

My photo
I am a lot of things, sometimes it drives me insane,and I think too much, but at the end of the day I am happy with who I am. I spend most of my time trying to understand this life, creating the person I would like to be, and learning. I always appreciate the little things, and I try to be better than, and to make better, the bad things.

Monday, January 25, 2010

The ladder to Truth

When I was young I thought I had to find myself. And I was completely over my head! Where do I even look!? What if I don't fit into a category? But then I came across a quote at about 13,
"Life is not about finding yourself, but creating yourself." I was really comforted by this.

Lately I have really felt the weight of what this means. I mean, what a gift! I realized how important it is to invest in ourselves! Everything we do, and learn becomes part of who we are in the bigger picture. Even days we don't remember will always stay with us from the wrinkles on our face, to the core of our sense on self.

I am super excited about this because as far as I can figure, life is about 1) created yourself to be the best person you can be, and 2) creating and maintaining relationships, friendships.

"Human beings are unfinished creatures with the ability to recreate themselves continuously, adapting to the ebb and flow of life's happenstances and contingencies." Swartz

This quote really made me realize why I am so interested in Philosophy! Philosophy to me (with the help of Socrates) is discussing everything in life, not to win or to look intelligent, but for the love of wisdom. Every time I discuss my beliefs or make claims about the world with someone they can always poke holes in them. All of our beliefs have things in them that don't make sense and we can't explain. We can do two things when someone shows us the flaws of our belief system. We can be ignorant idiots, get our feelings hurt, and walk away. Or we can alter or beliefs each time making them stronger and getting closer to Truth. Partaking in Philosophy, discussing with others', is my favorite thing to do in creating myself. Where some will pick up their beliefs casual and stick to them dogmatically, I will continue to grow.

Pretty Awesome...

No comments:

Post a Comment