"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"
--Dillion

About Me

My photo
I am a lot of things, sometimes it drives me insane,and I think too much, but at the end of the day I am happy with who I am. I spend most of my time trying to understand this life, creating the person I would like to be, and learning. I always appreciate the little things, and I try to be better than, and to make better, the bad things.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Rain lovely Rain


I am enjoying my summer so so much, and at the moment am absolutely pleased with this rain! It is beautiful outside, I wish I could freeze this picture forever: dark green, gray, a complete rainbow, and the most interesting glow of yellow from the sunset, all through a rainy haze. This summer I have done so many fun things and have relaxed at the same time! I can't wait for Greece!! Right now life is good, but there are still many things on my mind.

Random: I love this article: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/07/19/man-up.html?gt1=43002

Lately I'm having a hard time posting my blogs, it would be so much easier if a bunch of strangers read them that I would never see. lol

This is all rambling so I can try to understand how I am feeling, so sorry. Obviously you are never going to have everything in common with any one person, especially someone you date. But I think it is important to spend lots of time together when you are in a relationship, and how are you supposed to when you don't have things in common? Should you share all your interest? Should you pick up theirs? What if they don't want or need you to be interested in theirs because they already have others to enjoy those interests with? Is it important to have your own interests? Do you get new interests together? Or are you not meant to be together if you don't have the same hobbies and interests? Other couples seem to have no problem going off and doing their own things, but I don't like it. I feel like your partner should be your absolute best friend in the world, and shouldn't you do the things you love together? Shouldn't they want to do everything with you?

I guess what I am saying, after my training in interpersonal communication, is that I think I am now in the Differentiation stage of my relationship. I have learned all about the stages of relationships/friendships. They totally make sense and now I can always point out what stage I am in with everybody I know. To give you a mini lesson there are 10 stages that do not have to all be reached and often do not go in order. There is the integration stage, stage 4, most people never get here, this is where two people are absolutely in love, spend all their time together, and are basically one person. This is where they can tell each other anything. The stage after that is called the Differential stage. This is where the differences that you did not notice before, or thought were cute, start to appear and matter. This is the stage where both people stop hanging out with each other as much and regain their independence. This is usually where the relationship plateaus off and remains, but much of the time it is the first step on the long and painful road towards termination. I believe I am just entering this stage, and although I know it is usually inevitable and healthy, it is difficult for me. I am perfectly happy in the integration stage and don't have much interest in other friends.

I'm having a great summer and have so many things to look forward to. Relationships are not always easy...scratch that, they are never easy, but I feel so so lucky and blessed to have mine, and I guess we are all learning together how to be successful and make them last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment