"All I can do is be me, whoever that is"
--Dillion

About Me

My photo
I am a lot of things, sometimes it drives me insane,and I think too much, but at the end of the day I am happy with who I am. I spend most of my time trying to understand this life, creating the person I would like to be, and learning. I always appreciate the little things, and I try to be better than, and to make better, the bad things.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Book #1

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

Even though this book took me a little long to read, I really enjoyed it. This book really fascinated me. It made me ask the question; if there were never any consequences for my actions, how would I act? I'd like to say without a doubt, I would be good. But often when we as people do something wrong, the guilt doesn't appear or last long if we are not caught. Bad actions grow easier every time they are committed and go unnoticed.

Some parts were lengthy and a little too detailed for my taste, but overall I loved it! I really enjoyed learning some new vocabulary like Dandy! Here are some of my favorite lines

"The ugly and the stupid have the best of it in this world...they are at least spared the knowledge of defeat. They live as we all should live, undisturbed, indifferent, and without disquiet."

"I suppose it comes from the fact that none of us can stand other people having the same faults as ourselves."

"But the bravest man among us is afraid of himself."

"They seemed to be able to give a plastic form to formless things."

"You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know."

"The true mystery of the world is the visible, not the invisible..."

"I wonder who it was defined man as a rational animal. It was the most premature definition ever given. Man is many things, but he is not rational."

"Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes."

"Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing."

"Experience was of no ethical value. It was merely the name men gave to their mistakes."

"Children begin by loving their parents, as they grow older they judge them, sometimes they forgive them."

"The reason we all like to think so well of others is that we are all afraid of ourselves."

"To be good is to be in harmony with one's self."

"I love acting. It is so much more real than real life."

"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities."

"Each one of us has Heaven and Hell in him."

"If we women did not love you for your defects, where would you all be? Not one of you would ever be married."

"Each man lives his own life, and pays his own price for living it."


Anyway it is kinda sad how many lines stayed with me.

Book # 2: Veronika Decides to Die-

I just started this and I love love love it! I have a feeling I will finish it very soon...

3 comments:

  1. Wait, did I miss something? What was book #2? Some great quotes from Dorian Gray! I especailly love..."Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing." AND "You know more than you think you know, just as you know less than you want to know." AND "To be good is to be in harmony with one's self." My recent book "Cranford" is going a lot slower than I expected also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darn! I do not know why I said three! lol. Thanks for pointing that out! I know, there are so many I just loved. Have you read it? I'm glad you know what that is like, some books seem to go that way! You'll have to tell me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't get through Veronika, sorry, I know that was supposed to be our book. But it was just too much for me, too repeatitive and trying too hard to make a point. Can't remember how far I got... something like her or another patient having an out of body experience during eletrical shock sessions...don't know how far in that was. But I am glad that you are enjoying it, you've been wanting to read that for a while. I'll look for your book report on that one and see what I missed. :)

    ReplyDelete